Most search engines use databases. Some search directories or web
addresses directly. Some use spiders to collect data. Search engines
are as varied as the kinds of jobs they do. First, decide what needs
to be searched and what searched for. Then research it. Don't just
plug a stock program into a slot and expect it is going to do what
you want. If you have ever explored college websites, you might
notice that most are large affairs that often have a lot of
disjointed and poorly organized pages. Most try to solve bad
organization with a stock search engine like ht://Dig or Ultraseek,
without realizing that for many prospective customers, it is a lame
solution. The ideal, on the other hand, could be a lot more expensive
and time-consuming to put together. In any case, take stock of your
customers and what they are looking for, and do the research to find
something that comes close.

On 26 Jan 2001, at 2:26, Tobias Talltorp wrote:

> As I understand it, search engines use a "special" type of database
> structure. They have a special table for common words/phrases and
> another one with all the data. They link theese together by a third
> one that contains only the id´s from the other two, thus making the
> search much faster. How do they determine the common words? Is it done
> similar to the FULLTEXT search in Mysql, all words over three
> characters?
>
> I think I have heard someone call it "many to many", but am not sure.
>
> Anyway, is there any good tutorial out there so I can design my own?
> Or perhaps someone could take a few minutes of their time and explain
> some of it to me.
>
> Thanks,
> // Tobias

John Jensen