I'm running Slackware Linux (2.0.36) and just set up a
binary version of MySQL 3.23.32.  I followed the
directions exactly and all looks to be fine.  However,
when I try and start MySQL by using typing

bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

I get the following error:

www:/usr/local/mysql# Starting mysqld daemon with
databases from /usr/local/mysq
l-3.23.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686/data
010126 18:54:14  mysqld ended

I then check the error log and it reports this:

010126 18:54:14  mysqld started
010126 18:54:14  Warning: setrlimit couldn't increase
number of open files to more than 256
010126 18:54:14  Warning: Changed limits:
max_connections: 100  table_cache: 73
Fatal error: Can't change to run as user 'mysql' ;
Please check that the user exists!
010126 18:54:14  Aborting
010126 18:54:14  mysqld ended

I know the user 'mysql' exists for sure and all
directories and files are owned by 'mysql' and have
the group ownership of 'mysql' but things still don't
work.

The other erros about not being able to increase the
number of open files to more than 256 and the other
warning about the 'Changed Limits' I don't know
anything about.  Could they be causeing a problem.

I can successfully get MySQL to start if I don't start
it as user 'mysql' but then I can't quit it using any
quit command.  I first tried using:

mysqladmin stop and it reported the 'slave was not
running' and couldn't quit mysqld

I then tried 'mysql.server stop' and it gave me this:

 ./mysql.server st
op
./mysql.server: @HOSTNAME@: command not found
./mysql.server: my_print_defaults: command not found
Killing mysqld with pid 15998
./mysql.server: kill: (15998) - No such pid
Wait for mysqld to exit\c
.\c
.\c
.\c
gave up waiting!

and it never quit.  I have to do a force quit for each
process with a kill -9.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John