Thanks for the help Kent and the rest of the list,

Would be grateful for some help interpreting some mysql system
variables. Just to recap on what I am trying to achieve, I want
to load as much of a very large key file (224704512
mykeyfile.MYI) into RAM to improve selects.

I did a "show status;" and the mysql variables for the keys were
as follows :-

| Key_blocks_used          | 7793       |
| Key_read_requests        | 107315735  |
| Key_reads                | 219450     |
| Key_write_requests       | 0          |
| Key_writes               | 0          |

Variable key_buffer_size is set to 8388600.

I understand that the key_buffer_size is in bytes so I have a 8MB
key buffer size. So I can increase this and that should improve
select speeds. That's great.

My QUESTION is : what do the "Key_read_requests" and "Key_reads"
figures tell me. Are they in bytes? I'm not quite sure how to use
them and interpret them to determine if select speeds are
improving?

Thanks everyone. This is such a great list!

Michael Thomas