Greetings-

I have been experiencing an unusual issue with replication in 3.23.32. We
are using a dual-master setup on two FreeBSD4.2-STABLE machines. I am able
to initially set up the replication, and issue simple updates from one or
the other machine, but in certain circumstances we receive errors like this,
although I've not changed any settings:

010126 23:31:14 Slave thread: error connecting to master:Can't connect to
MySQL server on '86' (65)(22), retry in 3306 sec

mysql> show slave status;
+-------------+--------------+-------------+---------------+----------------
--+-----+---------------+-----------------+
---------------------+
| Master_Host | Master_User | Master_Port | Connect_retry | Log_File | Pos |
Slave_Running | Replicate_do_db | Replicate_ignore_db |
+-------------+--------------+-------------+---------------+----------------
--+-----+---------------+-----------------+
---------------------+
| 86 | 209.95.64.253 | 0 | 3306 | test1-bin.001 | 0 | Yes | | |
+-------------+--------------+-------------+---------------+----------------
--+-----+---------------+-----------------+
---------------------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

This has happened under a number of circumstances, the most recent being
after resynching the two database, successfully performing a couple of
updates, and then issuing "reset master" and "reset slave" on both machines.
I then shutdown one machine's MySQL server, and inserted 100,000 very simple
rows into the other server. Upon restarting the first server, it begins to
replicate, all the way to about 93,000 records, and then quits with a
message like this:
010126 22:27:30 Error reading packet from server: Could not find first log
(read_errno 0,server_errno=65535)

At this point, show slave status looks normal, but all replication has
ceased. However, the next time that the slave is restarted, I see an anomaly
such as the show slave status above, and also this in the master.info file
(which was previously normal):

test2-bin.001

0
73
test2.circle.n
replicator
0
3306
!
3306
10

As well as the following in the error log (timestamp equivalent to MySQL
server startup):
010126 22:39:56 Warning: setrlimit returned ok, but didn't change limits.
Max open files is 1064
010126 22:39:56 Warning: Changed limits: max_connections: 250 table_cache:
402
010126 22:40:41 Slave thread: error connecting to master:Can't connect to
MySQL server on '86' (65)(65), retry in 3306 sec

I have verified that the binary logs do exist and are readable by the mysql
user. I have tried clearing all logs, resetting both master and slave on
both servers, resynching and then restarting, and am still encountering this
issue. A similar error also occurs when both  servers are running - the
replication stops at a certain point and the slave table gets corrupted as
above.

my.cnf reads as follows on both machines (with the master-host and server-id
different):
[mysqld]

port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=16M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = table_cache=64
set-variable    = sort_buffer=512K
set-variable    = net_buffer_length=8K
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=8M
set-variable    = max_connections=250
set-variable    = connect_timeout=60
log-update

master-host=test2.circle.net
master-user=xxxxxxxxx
master-password=xxxxxxxxx
master-connect-retry=10
log-bin
server-id=2

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this? Any help would be most
appreciated. I would be glad to provide any more information that might be
necessary. Please cc me off the list with any responses. Thanks for
everyone's time-

Brendan Sherar
Server Operations
Circle Net, Inc.