> Here's the situation:
>
> table:  books
> |BookNumber  |Author        |Title               | ....
> |  ...       |              |                    |
> |  312       |'TWAIN, MARK' |'Huckleberry Finn'  |
> |  ...       |              |                    |
<cut>
> table: words
> -------------------------
> |WordNumber |Word       |
> -------------------------
> |  ...      |           |
> | 457       | 'Finn'    |
> |  ...      |           |
> |------------------------
<cut>
> table: wordlinks
> --------------------------
> |WordNumber  |BookNumber |
> --------------------------
> | ...        |           |
> | 457        | 312       |
> | ...        |           |
> |-------------------------
<cut>
> When I search for a title or a couple of keywords, a search
> is done in the words table to retrieve the associated WordNumber
> values.
> Secondly, these WordNumber values are searched in the wordlinks
> table, and the associated BookNumber values are retrieved.
> Only the BookNumber values which appear for each searched word
> are retrieved.
> Thirdly, the books are then located by BookNumber and
> displayed in a search result.
>
> My question is:
>
> Is this three stage action possible with one SQL statement?

I would try something like:

SELECT DISTINCT books.*
FROM books, words, wordlinks
WHERE (books.BookNumber = wordlinks.BookNumber) AND
        (wordlinks.WordNumber = words.WordNumber) AND
        ( (words.Word = 'word1') OR (words.Word = 'word2') OR ... )

/ Carsten
--
Carsten H. Pedersen
keeper and maintainer of the bitbybit.dk MySQL FAQ