> I bet your webserver and database server are seperate machine.
> Make sure the hostname of web and db are in the /etc/hosts on both machine,
> it's very slow to use DNS to resolve everything

That doesn't matter. We use IP to connect, not hostnames.

It might be a problem with the slow pthread_create() thingy I've been
reading. Although there was a lot of discussion, they didn't come up
with a fix that could deal with this cleanly.

And we DO need some solution here. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Increasing the max_connections number to more than 500 won't do it.

The kernel we're using is 2.2.17. I believe that upgrading it to 2.4
won't help either. Am I right or totally wrong?

--
Leonardo Dias
Catho Online