-----Mensaje original-----
De: Gerald L. Clark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Enviado el: lunes 29 de enero de 2001 12:53
Para: Guridi, Tomas
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Asunto: Re: Problem with the UPDATE

"Guridi, Tomas" wrote:

> Hi , i´m having a strange problem with the update in mysql
> i have a table named "notices" with the following fields:
>
> id      :prymary, int, auto_increment.
> title   :varchar (255).
> priority        :int.
>
> inside this table i have 5 registers like this :
>
> id      title   priority
> 1       a       1
> 2       b       2
> 3       c       3
> 4       d       4
> 5       e       5
>
> now... to explain exactly what im doing y will write the exact querys im
> giving o the database.
>
> DELETE FROM notices where id=1
> UPDATE notices SET priority=priority-1 WHERE priority > 1
>
> The result for this should be the following:
>
> id      title   priority
> 2       b       1
> 3       c       2
> 4       d       3
> 5       e       4
>
> The result im getting is :
>
> id      title   priority
> 2       b       1
> 3       c       1
> 4       d       2
> 5       e       3
>
> i have tryed everything,
> i foud that there was a problem with the update using the "WHERE
priority>1"
> and they recommended using "WHERE priority+0 >1"
> i also try that without having good results. the part that is even more
> strange is that if i run this querys from the console of the phpMyadmin
the
> result comes out rigth. i really don´t know what to do.
>
> i am running on a NT 4.0 platform but i also try it on a REDHAT 6.2
platform
> having the same wrong result.
> if anybody could help please let me know.

You do not say what version you are running.
Older versions did not allow updating the primary key field in that
manner.

i am running version 3.23.32 of mysql in which that problem is supposed to
be fixed but any way the field that im updating is not the prymary key, the
prymary key is the field (id) and im updating the field priority.