Hi all,

Having just upgraded my MySQL server to the latest 3.23.32 version, I
thought it would be a good idea to have a review of the configuration and
try to optimise the setup further. I hope someone can help me by answering a
few queries I have.

Here's a bit of info about the spec. of the server:

* Pentium III 600 Mhz
* 512 Mb RAM
* Data directories stored on RAID 0 partition
* RedHat Linux 6.2 (with 2.2.16-22 kernel, retrofitted from RH7)

The majority of the queries to the server are from a few web servers using
PHP4, connecting using persistant connections (it normally runs with approx.
100-150 idle threads because of this).

So, I have a few questions:

1. I think I need to optimise table_cache. It's currently set to the default
of 64. There are a total of 70 tables on the system. The manual says you
should increase table_cache if the Opened_tables status variable is big. How
large is 'big'? This value is currently 274 on my system. By how much should
I increase table_cache? As a guide, the my-large.cnf sample config sets this
to 256 - would this suit my setup?

2. I currently have sort_buffer at 8 MB. The sample 'large' config suggests
1 Mb. The manual says this should be increased to improve sorts and grouping
performance - which my queries do a lot of. Performance seems fine at the
moment, but am I unnecessarily using too much memory?

3. My record_buffer is set to 16 Mb (at the suggestion of someone else). The
sample 'large' config suggests also 1 Mb. I'm not quite sure I understand
what this affects. The manual states that: "if you do many sequential scans,
you may want to increase this value" - but what kind of query would make a
sequential scan? Should I reduce this value?

Any answers gratefully accepted!

Regards,