Sinisa Milivojevic wrote:

> Arne Mueller writes:
>  > Hi All,
>  >
>  > the client process has been terminated.
>  >
>  > I'm using mysql-3.23.8-alpha (server running on irix 6.5), the clients
>  > run on RadHat Linux 7.
>  >
>  > When I establish a connection from the client (linux) to the server via
>  > the standard mysql-client (that comes with the mysql code), a sockets
>  > gets occupied on the client machine. I list the used sockets via the
>  > 'socklist' perlscript that comes with RadHat linux (don't know how to
>  > list sockets otherwise). After I've exited the mysql-client the socket
>  > that was used by mysql on the client site is still there and remains
>  > several minutes, without beeing associated with a process (the process
>  > has already gone away). I guess the problem may be quite deep inside the
>  > client library because I get the same problem when using perl-DBI.
>  >
>  > This causes some problems on our site, because 50 linux clients talk to
>  > a master server (the clients are in a privat network) which runs a redir
>  > demon that redirects all traffic to the mysql-server that sites in a
>  > different network. The master server keeps quite alot of sockets open,
>  > and very often there no more sockets left for new connection (because
>  > the old ones are noit closed quick enough).
>  >
>  > I just wonder whether someone came across this problem before or whether
>  > the developers are interested in this problem (I can provide more
>  > details if requested). I'd like to see whether there are zombie sockets
>  > on the server machine as well but I don't know how to monitor socket
>  > usage on an irix machine.
>  >
>  >      thanks for ideas,
>  >
>  >      Arne
>  >

> Hi!
>
> The above is a known behaviour on Linux, which have probably being
> resolved in 2.4 kernels.
>
> Meanwhile, you can increase maximum number of file descriptors at
> system startup.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sinisa

Thanks for the reply,

I get the same probelm under irix 6.5 (just learned about netstat -a).
After a client running on an irix machine exited it's connection to a
server running on irix, too, the sockets on the client remains for a
while in 'TIME_WAIT' state, whereas the socket on the server is removed
immediately.

This looks more like a more general problem, not like something linux
specific. Someone of our IT people is looking into this in  more detail.
I let you know if I have any news on this,

        cheers,

        Arne