%% "Evan James Dembskey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  ejd> I believe that MySQL needs to be compiled with GNU make. I have
  ejd> to install MySQL on a Dec Alpha running Digital UNIX V4.0D
  ejd> (Rev. 878). There are a number of apps running on the Dec that
  ejd> require the native make to work. So - is it possible to install
  ejd> Gnu make onto teh Dec in a way that it does not interfere at all
  ejd> with the rest of the system? If so, how do I do it?

Easy.  Check the INSTALL file that comes with GNU make.  You can
configure it to (a) install in different directories, (b) install with
different names (often people install it as "gmake" rather than just
"make"), or (c) both.

Also, make is a simple program; you can just rename it after you install
it if you don't want to bother with the ./configure options.  It won't
hurt anything to do that.