One thing that I have learned on the corporate market is that huge companies
prefer to pay huge amounts of money than to bet on a product that is new and
almost for free. Quality in this case is secondary and what happens behind
the scenes is what is taken into consideration. An IT Director doesn't feel
comfortable to say to a huge enterprise that they are going to migrate to an
open source database. Again, quality is not the problem. If something goes
wrong people will always say: "If I have stayed with Oracle this would never
happend!" That's bullshit. We all know that but have to face the facts and
learn to live with them, learn to dodge'em.
Of course Oracle is worried about MySQL. They have enough reasons for that.
At the moment I'm trying to use MySQL inside a HUGE (really HUGE) company
and the answers that I receive from the IT Department is something like:
"We'll be not responsible if anything goes wrong." NOBODY wants to put their
faces at the combat front but still I'm trying... Future will show the truth
and people who believe in open source and MySQL have to be prepared for this
kind of situations. I don't expect my company to forget about their
agreement with other companies just because the open source comunity says
MySQL is good. News like NASA using MySQL and some small movements here and
there are going to put MySQL against the wall. If I can put MySQL to work
inside this company and people start to hear about it they are going to
consider it in the future for big things.
If MySQL is good, and I truly believe that it is, we are going to hear the
trumpets of victory very soon. So, if you are a MySQL addicted like I am,
don't worry. It takes time to prove that something is good but once it's
done it's just a matter of maintaining the name and the quality of the
astonishing product that MySQL is today.

Best regards,

Fábio Ottolini