I was under the impression ulimit controlled this, but someone just told me
that by default, the linux kernel only supports 256 simultaneous
connections, thus MySQL is limitd to 256 connections unless running on a
modified kernel. This does not sound right to me so I thought I would ask
here. We are currently performance testing MySQL on RH 6.2. I have rebuilt
the kernels to allow more shared memory (for some other apps) but have done
nothing that would affect a limit such as this. I know I have some Oracle
databases running on the same kernels (2.2.18smp) that allow more than 256
connections.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
CC