Ok, I have decided to try to get 3.23.32 built but I have a problem. I'm
building on Mac OS X Public Beta (Darwin) and the docs say it should
recognize this platform and work easily. It does configure, build and
install without a hitch, but it won't run.

I'm configuring it to install in /usr/local/mysql. I configured like this:

   configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

Later, I also tried using an additional parameter 'exec_prefix' or something
like that (I believe I found it with configure --help...but I don't see it
in the docs right now and I'm not in a place to check the help).

In any case, when I finish, safe_mysqld results in:

   The file /usr/local/libexec/mysqld doesn't exist or is not executable
   Please do a cd to the mysql installation directory and restart
   this script from there as follows:

   ./bin/safe_mysqld.

Following those directions (which indicate a problem anyway...) results in
the exact same error. I then modified the safe_mysqld script to look in the
right place. Then it gives me:

   touch: /usr/local/var/gwcdev.err: No such file or directory
   chown: /usr/local/var/gwcdev.err: No such file or directory
   Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/var
   ./bin/safe_mysqld: no such file or directory:
      /usr/local/var/gwcdev.err [210]
   ./bin/safe_mysqld: no such file or directory:
      /usr/local/var/gwcdev.err [216]
   tee: /usr/local/var/gwcdev.err: No such file or directory
   010201 18:59:51  mysqld ended
   tee: /usr/local/var/gwcdev.err: No such file or directory

Clearly it's confused about directories, but I'm not sure why. Adding a
directory /usr/local/var just results in a new set of errors. Can anybody
recommend anything...

Thanks,

Geoff