I'm fairly new to MySQL, and I've read some documentation that
says that "skip-locking" is the default on Linux.  I'm trying
to set up a table maintenance/backup strategy, and I'd like
to use "myisamchk" and "mysqldump".

  1. Can I run myisamchk *without* shutting mysql down?  I don't
     want to have to bring mysql down unless absolutely
     necessary.

  2. Can I start mysqld(safe_mysqld) with "--enable-locking"?
       - would this allow me to use myisamchk without having
         to shut down mysql?

  3. Since I would use --opt with mysqldump, which does
     "--add-locks" and "--lock-tables", I think that I don't
     have to worry about the "skip-locking" issue, right?

I'm interested to hear what other people have as their
maintenance/backup strategy for MySQL databases/tables.
Nightly, I'd like to
  1. run myisamchk to check all databases (not sure if
     this is necessary every night)
  2. backup --all-databases using mysqldump
  3. do flush-logs(probably with mysqldump) so that a new
     update log is started

TIA.

--
Hardy Merrill