Brad Fitzpatrick writes:
 > MySQL 3.23.32 has been crashing on me quite frequently, as well as the past
 > several versions.  At first I gave MySQL the benefit of the doubt and blamed
 > it on the compilation.  I've since tried 6 different builds, ranging from
 > fully optimized with no debugging to bloated and slow, with full debugging.
 > Each one of the crashes.
 >
 > I know the table that is causing MySQL to segfault, but I can't reproduce
 > yet the sequence of queries that caues it to happen.
 >
 > What I really need help with is instructions on how to make mysqld write its
 > core file after it crashes.  I have "core" on its own line in /etc/my.cnf,
 > in the [mysqld] section.  Is that enough?  Obviously not.  I'm new to using
 > the my.cnf .... the parsing of that file seems somewhat odd.
 >
 > If that is what I'm supposed to do, where are the core files supposed to go?
 >
 > Also, the error doesn't show me a stack trace, but instead says:
 >
 >   Bogus stack limit or frame pointer, aborting backtrace.
 >
 > Then, mysqld restarts and I see a bunch of lines like:
 >
 >   read_const: Got error 126 when reading table ./livejournal/dirsearchres
 >
 > I've pretty much figured out that MySQL crashes after I do a "DELETE FROM
 > dirsearchres".  That table is constantly growing up to a million rows or so,
 > and then a cron job deletes everything in them.  (Why this is necessary is
 > another discussion in itself)
 >
 > MySQL developers --- maybe that means something to you.  The schema is:
 >
 >     CREATE TABLE dirsearchres (
 >         dsid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
 >         userid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
 >         KEY (dsid)     --- really an INDEX, not a key
 >     );
 >
 > The this table grows a ton, then rapidly shrinks.
 >
 > Maybe TRUNCATE dirsearchres would work better than DELETE FROM dirsearchres.
 >
 > But regardless, MySQL is crashing and should be fixed.  I don't want to find
 > a workaround.
 >
 > Any suggestions?
 >
 > - Brad

Hi!

I do not think you should revert to debugging.

>From what you wrote it does not seem that MySQL is crashing, but only
corrupting a table. You could turn (any) update log on and try to make
a reproducible test which would always crash the above table.

Then, we could try to pinpoint a bug.

Regards,

Sinisa

     /*/\*\/\*\   /*/ \*\ /*/ \*\ |*|     Sinisa Milivojevic
    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             /*/             \*\                Developers Team