Huang-Ming writes:

Hi!

I just saw this question un-answered, so in case you already got
a private answer, please just ignore.

 > hi Tim,
 >
 > thanks for the prompt response which is hard to be seen with Oracle
 > and Microsoft.
 >
 > sorry, i should have had studied hard the manual a year
 > ago. regarding the error, however, would the error message be
 > better to tell users to adjust relevant configuration than only to
 > say "MySQL gone away"? it's misleading to some serious fault in
 > MySQL which actually is not therein, isn't it?

There is nothing serious around; it just means that the server has
closed the connection to the client because the server assumes that
something had gone wrong. This happens, for example, when the server
notices that a client is sending packets that are out of order, or too
large.

Nothing crashes (the server is still running), but the connection was
just closed. So actually it is very much true what the server says to
the client (the error message).

The problem is that there are already some situations when this error
can happen, so we thought that it is better to give a short error
message than give a long list of possible reasons for the error. One
just needs to consult the manual in order to find out a verbose
explanation for the happening and the solution.

Regards,

- Jani
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   http://www.mysql.com/
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  Jani Tolonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/  Helsinki, Finland
       <___/                  Development Team