I have been trying to install 1.3.23.29-solaris 2.6 binary distribution.

But as a neophyte to MySQL I cannot seem to start the client software.

I have varied from the standard procedure (By necessity) to install it to a
non-standard directory (/ss/mysql)  so I have had to add the
--defaults-file=/ss/mysql/data/my.cnf flag to the various commands.

so I have successfully started the safe_mysql command with the defaults-file
flag.

When I type the suggested mysqladmin --defaults-file=/ss/mysql/data/my.cnf
-u root -p 'password'

I get an access error:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'

I am confounded by this, since the same procedure for linux worked
perfectly. (differing directory root.)

Does this look familiar to anyone?

thank you,
Jack Summanen