Woah!  800,000 visits a day!?  Wow...  try 80,000.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Hadley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 5:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Performance issues.

I'm not much of a db admin so I really don't know how to get better
performance out of our database... but it seriously needs some speeding up.

We have this huge dictionary... It's 272235 rows.  We have to be able to
search through it.

We run about 800,000 visits a day.

Right now we're doing a "WHERE keyWord LIKE 'word%'"... but the "LIKE"'s are
killing the machine.  We had to upgrade our memory to 512M.  That helped a
bit, now our machine doesn't just die.  But it's still way to slow.  The CPU
is maxing out and we're hitting like 10-15% idle during slow periods and
0.0% idle during rush periods.

What can we do?  Besides of course firing me and getting a real db admin. :)