I just installed mysql 3.23.32 on my server and it
went without a hitch. I ran mysql_install_db, changed
the root password, started the server. I used GRANT
statements to create another user, then connected
as that user to the mysql client--no problem at all,
ran queries, etc.

But I wrote a PHP test script to test the connection,
also on the same machine (so this is a localhost
connection), used the same username and password
that worked just fine with the client, and I get:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

This usually means that the server isn't started,
but it's running. I use dbtools on my wintel to
connect to the departmental mysql server, so I
set up a connection in it to this one, and it connects
just fine, no problem. I looked at the PHP code
and saw no problems there, but to test it, I changed
the dbhost, user, and password to connect over the
network to the departmental server, and it works
just fine, so it's not the code. It just won't
connect to localhost--though the connection works
from the command line and dbtools.

Anybody have any idea what's going on here?

--
 /"\
 \ /    ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN