I ran rpm -Uhv MySql*3.23.32-1.i386.rpm against the sever, the client and the
shared rpms.
It ran without error and created the appropriate files on the 10 gig
/var/lib/mysql.
I moved the contents of mysql to /dbshare and created a symbolic link in /var/lib
called mysql which pointed to /dbshare.I set the ownership of the link, /dbshare,
/dbshare/mysql and everything in /dbshare/mysql  to "mysql w group root". When I
did that, safe_mysqld was successful in starting mysql from root.