This works... however it does not fix my problem.

I did a little more research...
Instead of varchar(M) BINARY I can do a tinyblob.

This allows me to do the inserts and selects that I previously
mentioned.
Also the documentation says that you can consider blob as a varchar
binary.

So My question is if they are suppose to be the same thing why don't
they work the same...

Also both  work in 3.22 so I guess I am trying to figure out is this a
bug in mysql and how do I get it listed as a bug in mysql if there is
not now a solution.