mike thomas wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am running mysql on linux (redhat 6.2) using a regular 18Gb
> EIDI hard drive. Does anyone know how much (ball park figure) a
> SCSI hard drive would speed up selects and inserts?

This is a how long is a piece of string question .....

EIDE disks have nearly the same data transfer rates as SCSI drives.

but

SCSI drives have nearly twice the seek-time performance - or their
average seek time is twice as good.

So it depends on how many seeks a query takes to complete that will
determine any performance increase.  Each query will be atleast two IIRC
from the manual - which has a section on Disk performance.

If you are serious about performance go SCSI.

Greg