Hello,

I am a Linux-Mandrake installer of MySQL and have read no less
than 4 complete
installation guides:

-2 of included with the binary each different,
-1 online tutorial and
-1 from a published book)

and none of them work completely

I have unzipped, installed and tested.

-MySQL server starts when the mysql.server script is run from the
console

-MySQL starts and stops all at once when the safe_mysqld script is run
from the
console

-mysql client starts correctly from the console

I have copied the mysql.server script to /etc/init.d
and linked  it in rc0.d as

        S01mysql (as suggested in the commented code)

and also tried naming it

        K90mysql (how I found it named in a rpm install that worked)

also I made a linked it in  rc3.d as

        S99  (as suggested in the commented code)

and also tried naming it

        S90   (how I found it named in a rpm install that worked)

So, my questions are:

1. How do I get MySQL to start and stop with the boot and shutdown of my
system?

2. Why does the safe_mysqld script start and stop in 1 fell swoop?