>I want to SELECT on one term & have the SELECT return as quickly as
>possible on the first TRUE instance.
>
>Ideally I'd like it to after the first matching case stop looking
>for other matches ( for speed ) and return 1. If there's no matches
>at all I want it to return 0.
>
>This works OK but returns either the date or an empty set.
>
>SELECT thread_last_post_date FROM threads WHERE
>thread_last_post_date > '2001-02-01' LIMIT 1;
>
>I know from Perl or PHP I can check the number of returned rows but
>I'd like something that just returns 0 or 1 so I don't have to
>special case.
>
>I'd like something like below but which work (it returns 2 rows of 1
>for some reason ) :
>
>SELECT 1 FROM threads WHERE thread_last_post_date > '2001-02-01' LIMIT 1;
>
>thanks,
>
>- Sam.

Sir, SQL deals with sets of rows. You supply the specifications, and
SQL returns the set of all rows that match your specifications. SQL
is deliberately designed not to deal with a database one row at a
time.

Try SELECT Count(*) FROM threads WHERE thread_last_post_date > '2001-02-01'
Treat zero as zero and anything greater than zero as one.

Bob Hall

Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.     -Khushhal Khan Khatak