My company usually develops web applications using a Cold Fusion / NT /
MSSQL combination. But we're tendering for a new project which needs to
handle more concurrent users than we are confident Cold Fusion / NT can
manage. So we're looking to use PHP4/MySQL on a Linux server. The code -
it's for an employee survey - is very simple: inputting the contents of a
long form (mostly numerical data) into a DB table, but the traffic is
possibly very high: up to 10,000 users submitting the form over a 20 minute
period. We'd like to save our clients the cost of a new MSSQL licence, but
we don't know if MySQL can cope with the concurrent connections.

Can MySQL handle this sort of usage? What hardware requirements do we need
so that we can be confident that it won't fall over? Would we need to
separate the PHP server and the SQL server?

Thanks very much for any help

Thomasina