I am new to MySQL and have just installed the MySQL rpm files to my Linux
box.

I have run "mysql_install_db" with no problems and I have then run
"safe_mysqld &" this comes up with the messsage

"starting mysql daemon with databses from /var/lib/mysql

mysqld daemon ended"

I assumed that this was corrected and then ran "mysqladmin version" to which
i recieved the following error message

"can't connect to local mysql server through socket
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock (111)

check that mysql is running and that the socket /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
exists"

I can not find any mysql processes running when I type "ps" and I cannot
find any sock files anywhere.

What am i doing wrong can somebody please please help.

Thanks

Matt Davis.