We are currently running Blackboard 5 level 1 (an online course management
package) which utilizes MySQL v3.22.32.  Our previous semesters saw a course
load of approximately 85 courses under which, MySQL performed extremely
well.  This semester, we have skyrocketed to 768 courses.  Now, our server
(a Sun Enterprise 450 with 2 400MHz Sparc's, 1 GB of RAM, and 30GB of
storage in a RAID 5 configuration) is performing extremely slow.  Using top
to monitor system performance, we are regularly seeing our load factor rise
to double digits and MySQL run away with up to 98% (peak) of the CPU time.
Blackboard's response to this is that MySQL does not scale upwards very well
and, to fix our problem, we will have to switch to an Oracle database (at an
increased price).

My question is, is Blackboard pulling our leg or does MySQL truly have a
problem scaling upwards?

Jesse