David Vender wrote:

> Hi
>
>   I am running RedHat 6.2 and notice that there
> are serious problems running MySQL on it. There
> are lots of posts on the email lists about the
> the installation hanging at 'Installing all prepared tables'. Users
> normally manage to do one install,
> the db runs for a while, then it's impossible to
> connect, and reinstall fails. Exactly my case.
> (Tried everything except reinstalling the OS, but i guess MySQL would
> stop working after a while even if i did that.)
>
> I have tried installing 3.23.32 from RPMs and
> from the binary and it's always the same problem.
> This has not been resolved yet, has it?
>
> It is a very serious issue for us. I have a machine still serving MySQL
> db's on RH 6.2 and if it quietly stops working and refuses reinstall
> then we have pretty big problems.
>
> Perhaps people should be warned not to run MySQL on RH 6.2? Should the
> user manual admit this problem?
> It has been reported for more than 8 months without
> any progress evident in the mailing lists.
>
> I have spent days on the email archives, documentation, my system, all
> to no avail.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/hints
>
> David
>
> p.s. for examples of systems reporting this, do a quick search on the
> mysql.com site.

I have posted replies to dozens of these "Problems" and usually receive
"thanks, that was the problem!" email back.

Create a mysql user.
Put user=mysql in the /etc/my.cnf file in the [mysqld] section.
Make sure when you run mysql_install_db you include the "--user=mysql"
option.
chown -R mysql "The var directory"
Make sure the directory containing the mysql.sock is world readable and
searchable.

Systems that "Suddenly stop running mysql" have a permissions problem
somewhere.