From: Eddie Rhodes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 8:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Password problems

Hi all,

The resolution to my problem is probably simple for many of you.
However, I'm new to MySQL and php and am having difficulties.  However,
I'm ignorant, not stupid, and can follow directions.

My setup is as follow:  I had My SQL, php4 (with Zend) and phpMyAdmin
installed on my Red Hat Linux dedicated server last year by the NOC tech
support dept. I'm now about to use them.

Yesterday, phpMyAdmin and MySQL were working.  I created a couple of
databases at a friend's house (he knows a bit of programming and also
has phpMyAdmin.

I returned home and began reading the docs.  In so doing, I discovered
that I had no root password set, and followed the instructions to create
one.  I did it via telnet and used the command

shell> mysqladmin -u root password George

Naturally, George is not the real password. It's just less confusing to
use something other than the word password to represent the password.

Addendum - okay, I found out that I set my password literally to
password, so I need to change it to "George".

Afterwards, I was unable to access phpMyAdmin. I now get the message:
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user:
'root@localhost' (Using password: NO) in lib.inc.php on line 255
Error

What a way to spend my birthday!

Would anyone be kind enough to help me out? It would be much
appreciated.

Step by step literal instructions on setting up a user name and password
would be appreciated also.  I've been reading the docs and I don't think
they do it as such.

Eddie