Hi.

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 05:34:38PM +0200, you wrote
[...]
> 5. Add a timeout to lock waiting: Innobase can detect and resolve deadlocks
> within its own lock table, but if a user uses also MySQL LOCK TABLES... or
> BDB locks, a deadlock can occur where Innobase does not know of all the
> locks: this is resolved by adding a timeout for a lock wait, say 100 s.,
> after which the transaction is rolled back.

Maybe I misunderstand this point: But a 100 secs timeout (in worst
case of a deadlock) would be absolutely inacceptable within my
applications. :-/

I mean, okay, if I am going to block a table for 100 secs, that's my
problem. But it sounds as if the handler waits 100 secs before it
"solves" a dead-lock condition by failing.

Is there a better mechanism planned for later? At least one should be
able to change the timeout (I would set it below 5 seconds...).

Bye,

        Benjamin.

PS: If there is a better place to discuss the Innobase table handler
for MySQL, let me know.