        running ./configure with no options works fine until the test
        program to determine the size of the char data type is compiled and
        run.  I've compiled and run the sample program manually, and added a
        printf() statement to show the result that's placed into the
        temporary file using the fprint() line, and the result is '1'. I
        don't fully-understand how the configure script works, but something
        is not accepting the value placed in the temporary file.

>How-To-Repeat:
        All I need to do is re-run the configure script and it always fails
        at the same point. The very same thing happens with the configure
        script for version 3.23.32 also. My hardware and operating system
        types are shown below.

>Fix:
        Not sure how to fix it, but I think the problem is in the configure
        script itself. gcc builds the test program without any errors, and
        it runs fine, producing the correct output result.

>Submitter-Id:  <submitter ID>
>Originator:    Super-User
>Category:      mysql
>Class:         sw-bug
>Release:       mysql-3.22.32 (Source distribution)

>Environment:

System: SunOS jedi 5.8 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20
Architecture: sun4

Some paths:  /usr/bin/perl /usr/ccs/bin/make /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/ucb/cc
GCC: Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
Compilation info: CC='gcc'  CFLAGS=''  CXX='gcc'  CXXFLAGS=''  LDFLAGS=''
Configure command: ./configure  --with-unix-socket-path=/var/tmp/mysql.sock
--with-low-memory --with-mit-threads=yes