ok, fyi, the below worked fine.
________________________________now...
as readers here may know, this db newbie had problems getting MySQL
up and running -much like the other person with pwd problems. i
erased the drive (OS X pb/Tenon iTools), reinstalled and all is well,
it even starts itself.

i have created one db with several (3) tables of my own; i have not
deployed it or even made the scripts (php) for it yet -i will :)

now i know the manual talks about a password to sign in to MySQL and
to grant privileges for dbs. so far i have always been logged into my
COMPUTER as root.
i have set *no other passwords* anywhere. last time i messed with the
-p flag in MySQL i apparently got everything totally whacked.

1) should i establish a password with iTools admin? if so, should i
do that first? does that affect the MySQL that i downloaded from
Tenon's site?
2) should i establish a password with MySQL? is this a 'root' password?
3) and finally..., just for me, as root(?), must i establish a
password for each and every db?

i will figure out how to assign grants(s) and passwords for other
users (besides me later; however, knowledge of the above (1, 2, 3)
will expedite that greatly.

thank you in advance for any help.

thanks also for your patience with newbies, as you must know "newbie"
focus (mine anyway) is spread out rather thinly all over the place!
RTM in not always easy to grasp and tediously slow.

TR