So, you're a lucky guy! I got the same "problem" but more strange and comic.

I've been using perl / DBI to access mysql on my scripts, an week ago I got the same
error as you.

I runned out repair my tables (everyone says that this error is about corrupted
tables), after repair and local/console tests everything seemed ok.

I tried to run my scrip again (simple selects) and I got the same error, then I tried
the same select, but now at mysql client, and worked fine....

how crazy...