HI,

I am a newbie. Whew, it felt good to say that and get it off my chest.

AS for MySQL, to be fair, I don't know if it was the source of my system
crawling to the tune of taking 4-9 minutes just to open a terminal, any
file managers, applications, etc. However, what did open most spritely
was the panel menu presentation and DrakConf. PySol eventually opened
and once running, I could play many hands waiting for the other things
to open up minutes later. Initially, I had rebooted and used the
interactive boot mode to one-by-one say "no" to the start up of several
services. That had no effect once I logged in as root. Then I had to go
into StartUp Services in DrakConf to kill numerous daemons running that
I THOUGHT I disabled via the tksysv interface in LM7.2. 15 things I hung
by the neck until they were dead, dead, dead (ddd for 3 locations:
startup services, tksysv and boot-up) but have to one-by-one re-enable
to find the offender are:

BOA, bootparamd, enlighten, fetchmail, ipop3, ldap, mysql, postfix,
postgresql, raw devices, rwalld, rwhod, webmin, wu-ftpd, and zope.

TO be fair, there were installations where both mysql and postgresql
seemed to work fine simultaneously (started at boot, but I did not
interact with them after boot).

((I recently (Tues eve to be exact) reinstalled for maybe the 10th time
in as many days, Linux-Mandrake 7.2. (I'd had a number of unrelated
problems in 7.2--I no longer have authorization to access my CD-RW
except when burning, but not to browse, even as root. kups and cups
runneth over are spilling tar and muck all over each other and work fine
in recommended mode but go printer blind and deaf if installed under
expert mode (and when the BIOS is in ECP mode, not EPP or Normal)...they
SEE the printer, generate a queue, etc. but don't output) problems, but
this time I found that in expert installation mode, if I deselect Apache
and any Apache-related options I could avoid "missing headers" error
which would ruin an otherwise smoothly-running 2 hour installation on my
AMD-based 700 MHz Athlon, 256 MB RAM box. SO, by deselecting Apache,
(the named culprit during the install) I made it to the fininsh line.
(Yes, I suspected the media, and even used LXF (Linux Format Magazine)
7.2's CD to start the install and the LM 7.2 disks 2-4 to complete. ))

ALL I am suggesting is that if you did any fresh installs or some
startup services experimenting on a box that probably should have one
task (I presume that a data server should be headless and running only
related services, and not running e-mail services...just assuming) then
check your startup settings.

ANYWAY,

BEST regards,

rmdirms

Alan Halls wrote:

> Hi,
>         I am running a PIII 733 with 256 MB Ram and the mysql server keeps locking
> up. I go into the "top" program and the mysql process is taking up 95-98% of
> the processor and continually has to be killed and restarted. We are running
> on an BSDI4.2 / Apache server using PHP pages, I am not using persistent
> connections, should I be. is there a way to have mysql restart when it
> hangs?
>
> These are the errors I am getting:
> 010212  4:24:29  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Out of memory (Needed 16384
> bytes)
> 010212 04:25:53  mysqld restarted
> /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
> 010208  3:42:57  Aborted connection 9634 to db: 'pp_beta1' user: 'root'
> host: `localhost' (Got an error reading communication packets)
> 010208  3:43:57  Aborted connection 9505 to db: 'pp_beta1' user: 'root'
> host: `localhost' (Got an error writing communication packets)
> 010208 03:54:55  mysqld restarted
> Alan

seen on internet...w98-nt...32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for
16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit
microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of
competition...