Hi Alan,
   Sounds like you need to do some tuning,  you are running MySQL low
on resources.  This is one situation MySQL does not handle well.  You
need to adjust the login class to have more memory for instance you
could create a class named "sql" and place it in your login .conf,
then use vipw to change to login class of the mysql user.  I have
attached an example.  You could also just use the daemon class.
#Add more relaxed memory for database users
sql:\
        :path=/bin /usr/bin /usr/contrib/bin /usr/X11/bin:\
        :datasize-max=128M:\
        :datasize-cur=64M:\
        :maxproc-max=128:\
        :maxproc-cur=64:\
        :openfiles-cur=6000:\
        :radius-challenge-styles=activ,crypto,skey,snk,token:\
        :stacksize-cur=64M:\
        :tc=auth-bsdi-defaults:\
        :tc=auth-ftp-bsdi-defaults:

On the PHP errors Are you using the latest PHP 4.0.4pl1 or are you
using the contrib,   I would guess the contrib,  try the latest PHP.

Ken

Ken Menzel  ICQ# 9325188
www.icarz.com  [EMAIL PROTECTED]