On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Kelly Zhu wrote:

> Try installing mySQL.  Please help me out with these questions:
>
> 1) I am running RedHat 6.0 on a x86 machine.  The file I downloaded was
> 'Linux (Intel libc6 systems) [pc-linux-gnu-i686]'.  Is it the right one?
Yes Youare right. beware of 386, 586, or 686

> 2) 'Linux (Intel libc6 systems) [pc-linux-gnu-i686]' seems to be the binary
> distribution because I don't see any make files after untar it.  Is that
> right?
you can copy to the right destination directory. It will be easy, if you
download the rpm package such as MySQL-3.23.33-1.386.rpm,
MySQL-client-3.23.33-1.386.rpm.
you can execute:
$ rpm -i <rpm-files>

> 3) I treated it as a binary, and followed the instruction for binary
> installation.  Then this command line puzzles me:
> shell> bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

double dash is a long option. the short option maybe -u.

--ilham--