On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 10:46:40AM -0800, Fox Mulder wrote:

> --- Brian Reichert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 03:23:49PM +0800, yindu wrote:
> > > There are no DB defined space limits on MySQL Databases ?It's
> > dangerours .How to control
> > > the database space on my database user?
> >
> > Filesystem quotas.
>
> But, to define filesystem quota, I will need to change de Owner of
> the file to the name of the respecive user right?
>
> Example: if the table belong to user max, I'll:
>
> chown max.users *.ISM
>
> Right??

Well, let me make sure I undertand what you mean.

If _all_ of the database tables are owned by the same user (ie.
the user the mysqld runs as), then you could arrange that the
database tables live on their own filesystem.

If the database tables have to co-exist if other files owned by
other users, then yes, you'd have to employ per-user quotas.  As
you how your OS imposed those limits, you'd have to do research.
But yes, at the very least, those database table files would have
to be owned by the user you're trying to constrain.

If that user is different than the UID that mysqld runs under, then
you'd have to assure that mysqld has read/write access to the file.

As I write this, I realize I don't know if/how quotas will be
imposed when mysqld's UID write to a file owned by <otheruser>.

I suspect that mysqld's own limits will be enforced, not <otheruser>'s.

Look into:

- putting the worrisome files onto their own filesystem.

- resource limits (RLIMIT_FSIZE in setrlimit(2), for example.  My
  OS (FreeBSD) has a command-line tool [limits(1)] for contraining
  processes.

- filesystem quotas.  My OS lets me have both user and group quotas.
  YMMV.

> []'s
>
> Fox W. Mulder

Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (603) 434-6842
Derry NH 03038-1713 USA                 Intel architecture: the left-hand path