On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 03:16:19PM +0800, chchen wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I find out that the performance of Heap table seems bad than MyIsam
> table.  of course, MyIsam table usually on the H.D., so it will slow
> down because of I/O.
>
> but i do a test. I mount a memory disk on FreeBSD and update/inser a
> table. I find out that would faster than use Heap table with the
> same structure.
>
> and the speed almost double while the table grows up to 200K+ rows

HEAP tables *can* be WAY faster then MyISAM tables for some tasks and
quite slower for others. So this really isn't surprising. Many of the
query optimizers' tricks don't apply to HEAP tables because the keys
are based on hashing rather than B-tree structures.

The manual describes some of benefits and drawbacks of HEAP
tables. You may want to double-check what it says and compare it to
what you're doing.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>