On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 04:15:41AM -0500, Justin wrote:
> Hi - sorry one other question,
>
> Does the protocol between client (mysql command line, DBI::mysql and
> so on), and server, change from minor version to minor version, or
> from major version to major version ie, 3.22.x to 3.23.x ?

My understanding is that they only make protocol changes between major
version changes.

> I've found that older client machines can talk to an upgraded server
> without any apparent issue, but I'd like to know if this is:

>  a) fine,
>  b) ok but not really recommended
>  c) a huge no-no, causing corruption and other weirdness.

I suspect that it is (a) or maybe (b). The newer servers seem to have
no trouble talking to older clients and I believe that is no accident.

> For example, on MYISAM, I have a data-set that hangs in 'Sending
> Data' phase using one particular select, using 3.22 mysql talking to
> 3.23 server, and am wondering if this is this cause.

Have you tried it with a 3.23 client?

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>