I would leave it the way it is, if I were you except for one thing.  Change
the table name Colours to CarColours.  Will make it a little less confusing
in the future.

----- Original Message -----
From: "îÉËÏÌÉÎ óÅÒÇÅÊ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 10:12
Subject: ENUM or not ENUM?

> Hello
>
> I have situation where I can't decide whether to use ENUM type.
> Here is a situation:
> table contains records about CarID and its colour(s). Each CarID is
allowed to have more than one colour such as red, green, blue. CarID may
have just one colour.
> This is the code I would use to create table Colours:
>
> CREATE TABLE Colours(
> CarID INT UNSIGNED,
> Colour ENUM("red", "green", "blue"),
> PRIMARY KEY(CarID));
>
> The question is- how can I create a record of a car that has more than one
colour?
> I also need to link my database with data entry interface, so interface
has a tick boxes corresponding to all colours for a car.

> Currently I have solved the situation this way:
> there are three tables Colour, Car and Colours. Table Colour stores
ColourID and ColourName; table Car stores CarID and CarName; table Colours
stores CarID and ColourID, where the primary key is (ColourID, CarID). So I
can have more than one colour (if there is a need for it) for one car.
> I can easily pull out colours to the interface, so user is able to select
corresponding colours.
> Everything works just fine.
>

> Is it a sensible approach not to use ENUM and create "transition" table
such as above (Colours)? Which way is more efficient?