Like pretty much all software, it quite possibly has security flaws.

A big bonus though, is that it binds port 3306 by default so you don't need
to run it as root. Create a completely seperate user and group for it and
run it under that uid/gid. Ensure none of your root system scripts interact
with files that mysql can create. Make sure you understand the way it
handles login permissions using the 'mysql' database - documented in the
online manual at http://www.mysql.com. Make your mysql login permissions as
strict as possible. The built-in permission system allows for very
fine-grained permission configuration, so take advantage of it.

Don't run it as root.

jason