you can do it with javascript. assign all of the cell contents to a
javascript 2-d array of strings (mytext[x][y]). create the table with a
div. you can then change the contents of each div at will (for example when
a button is pressed). i.e. divobject[x][y].innerHTML = mytext[x][new_y]. I
use this technique a lot for game writing in js.

the complication in your case is that some of the js (building the arrays
and the table) needs to be built by the php. I've never tried this but it
should work if you just echo it as you would html.

        Tim Ward
        Senior Systems Engineer

Please refer to the following disclaimer in respect of this message:
http://www.stivesdirect.com/e-mail-disclaimer.html