Your link approach is fine (and I consider it preferable).

Assume you suddenly start selling ties. With the Link_type approach, you simply need
to create a new link type and you're ready to roll. Much simpler than needing to
create a new table/relationship.

Also, suppose you're asked: Show me everything that bob purchased. Easier to do a
single join then to have to join against all the different tables.

Ray