Hi.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 09:38:33PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]
> /configure -with-low-memory for MySQL 3.23.33 but lost patience after watching
> it do 38+ hours of frantic disk swapping. I went to www.mysql.com and followed
> the seemingly most obvious path to downloads. There, i saw the section which
> says "Binary (tarball) distributions". I downloaded the item for FreeBSD. Only,
> it's not a "gz" it's not a "tar", I don't know what it it is.

It should be. What is the file name? It could be that your browser
unzipped the file on the fly, but didn't remove the .gz
extension. There is a description in the manual which command should
work. Try something like

zcat thetarfile | tar xfv -

or just

tar xfv thetarfile
(for details, see the manual)

Else, just try it again (the URL should be
http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/mysql-3.23.33-unknown-freebsdelf4.2-i386.tar.gz)
and be sure that the download was successful.  It _should_ work.

[...]
> long) night on a 233PII with a 2GB HD that only has a 64MB swap partition. I'm
> just a little frustrated at this point. I'd be happiest if I could get MySQL to
> compile. I've seen references to running the compile step for yacc seperately,
> then running "make" but no one seems to offer up the obvious statements as to
> how to do that. i.e. I have tried to type exactly what I see on the "make"
> output but it's not a valid command (unless it needs to be run from /bin/sh). My
> ulimit settings are all wide open,"ulimit -h".

Sorry, cannot help with that step as I never tried it myself.

> I'm wondering if the fact that the process doesn't error means that
> it's still working at some snails pace. If that's reasonably
> certain, I'm willing to go for the world record.

That is quite sure. Swapping during compilation extends the needed
time by some order of magnitude (factor 10 at least). I once compiled
a program with high optimazation which needed 1,5 GB on a 256MB
machine (with a large enough swap file) and that needed about 30 hours
instead of about 1-2 hours with enough memory.

64 MB swap won't get you far. You should have about 256MB or more to
compile MySQL (not sure about the low-mem-option). Maybe you want to
create a swap file (under Linux that is simple, therefore I assume
FreeBSD has something similar) and add it to your swap.

Anyhow, getting the binary running is a better idea (as it is compiled
with optimazation and therefore will be faster and more efficient).

> I'll let it run for a week and see what happens.

;-)

The only thing is, that I wouldn't bet that a week is enough. :-/

Bye,

        Benjamin.