I just installed the new version of MySQL on my Redhat Linux 7.0 box and
when I try to connect with a web browser I get:

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)...
Error

When I log in as root in Linux, I can execute commands just fine. The socket
is in the right directory "var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'" and has permissions
(CHMOD 777)

Has anyone seen this before? I looked in the manual, but nothing helped.

Here is what happens when I run
"mysqladmin --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock version" command as root:

mysqladmin  Ver 8.8 Distrib 3.23.22-beta, for redhat-linux-gnu on i386
TCX Datakonsult AB, by Monty

Server version          3.23.22-beta
Protocol version        10
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket             /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 1 hour 3 min 15 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 68  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 12  Flush tables: 1  Open
tables: 5 Queries per second avg: 0.018

Has any one seen this?

Robert