Hi

I am running Mysql on a Machine with two PIII-600, and 1 GB of RAM.
The disks are connected via U2W-SCSI.

I tried tuning mysql for maximal performance the last days, but I'm not
exactly sure which parameters I should increase, und to what value.

Our web application is quite slow at the moment, and often the server is
slower in doing the queries than they are created by the users, which
steadily increases the number of running mysql-processes until they reach
max_connection (which is 100 at the moment).

Our Application searches through about 1.000.000 Records, and does heavy
grouping, sometimes over 100.000 records.

Is there any chance, that we can keep doing this queries on the fly, or will
we have to cache them somehow? (which has a _lot_ of downsides, since the
data changes quite frequently, about once every 1/2 hour).

Which server parameters should we increase to make things faster?

Since a lot of users "do the same thing" on this website, we often have the
very _same_ query running 5 to 10 times, one started within 5 seconds or so
after the other.

Is there a way the prevent mysql from doing the query twice, and instead
just wait for the first to be finished and then return the result to both
clients?

If not, I will code this feature in PHP, using shared memory unless anyone
has already done this and is willing to share the code.

Greetings, Florian Pflug