Can MySQL help with generation of ALPHANUMERIC unique identifiers ?

ID's that use the full ASCII char range create more possible combinations with the
same # of characters which can be important when squeezing into cookie storage space.

4 character numeric ID has 10,000 combinations.

4 character (6 bits per char) alphanumeric id has 16,777,216 combinations

If MySQL can't help then I can do it with Perl/PHP I suppose but just curious.