Hi =)  Could you help me with creating a proper query?  I have a table that
stores messages with a field for the message id, thread, and parent.  The
goal is to create a query that gives me the total threads.  I read in a
book and found the DISTINCT key allows me to run a query like this:

select DISTINCT threads from messages;

Then all I have to do is count the total number of rows returned.  I'm
concerned this query will create unnecessary overhead as the number of
messages in the archive exceeds tens of thousands.  Is there a query that
will give me the information I'm looking for without creating the overhead?

-Ed