On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Evan James Dembskey wrote:

> > I chose MySQL for our products because I could NOT get postgres to run
> > on
> > SCO Openserver, even though it was supposed to be supported.
> > I tried for 2 months to get help on the postgress mailing list.
> > Nobody offered ANY help.
>

>       Funny, I had the same experience. The only reason I am no learning
>       to use MySQL is because PostgresQL would not install on either my
>       Linux box or my DEC box. The postgres list was not helpful.

My current (personal) view on the debate is that PG is more advanced
featurewise and they claim to be as fast. It's also much less
user/admin-friendly and lacks (last I could tell) an important feature
I've come to love (ALTER TABLE CHANGE <column>).

However, mySQL is very fast. It's got virtually all of the features I need
(row-level locking and transactions are what I'm waiting for to become
stable). I've seen some stability problems but most were under Solaris. I
look forward to it maturing and growing out of the "small to medium" range
RDBMs that it's usually tagged as due to the (stable) lack of the two
features I mentioned.

By the way, found the -1 table handler problem. *sigh* Disk was at 100%
usage on that partition. Got so used to scripts keeping track of disk
usage I forgot to even consider that a possibility. Perhaps mySQL could so
some testing to find the instances where it would get an error writing to
the disk or temp file and indicate an error as such? I mean, you're going
to get an error code back from your system (f)write call that indicates
what the problem is...

--
Nathan Clemons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          978-635-5300 ext 123
 Linux Systems Administrator   IRC: etrnl ICQ: 2810688 AIM: StormeRidr