Hello all,

I am brand new to MySQL. I have very limited experience with SQL type
databases. MySQL appears to be a very elaborate product capable of many
things. I've glanced at the documentation before writing this. I have 2
very general question to all you 'experienced' MySQL users.

Question #1)...

My application is in definite need of an SQL database manager. That much I
know. But what I'm looking for is a db manager that can handle backward
compatibility (ie: database version independence) of my application's
data.

Putting it in laymen's terms...

I have an application that creates and uses a database of data that it
uses now (say with version 1.0 of my software). Next year I come out with
version 2.0 of my software but I want my software to be capable of running
with previous versions of data (stored in the database) as well as new
versions.

In other words, I want to develop my software to be backward compatible
with previous versions of data. I know the application is my
responsibility, BUT will MySQL be capable of managing concurrent versions
of data inbetween software versions?

Questions #2)...

I've used INFORMIX E/SQL in the past but only a little. So I am vaguely
familiar with the 'style' of commands one must embed into the code to
retrieve data from the database manager.

Is there a 'standard' to SQL query command syntax? If I commit to MySQL
today and decide to use ORACLE, INFORMIX, GNUSQL, etc. down the road (for
whatever reason) will I have to rewrite my db interface handlers?

- - -

Sorry about the simplicity of these questions but you can tell I am
exploring what are my best options for introducing a db manager to my
application without making costly mistakes from the start.

Thank you
Attila